Let me think of some “rules of thumb” that could help church planters, church administrators, ministers or the like —
- Allow 11 square feet per adult in a worship setting. A children’s venue requires more space. I think this assumes chairs. This might be a good measure for weddings, too.
- In pews, allow three feet per person.
- When a church is 80% occupied, it is considered full to most people.
- Carrying goods to set up Sunday morning worship? Try to hold carrying to 10% of a person’s body weight.
- Most small Protestant churches function on $7 to $10 per attendee per week. Heaven help us! Large churches take more per person.
I’ve picked these up from various places; as I find them I’ll add the sources.