Almost two months ago, I got a 1.2kg bag of Charlie’s Soap ($12), simply packaged in a brown paper bag, but dismissed the purchase with a “more about that later.”
Now I’m ready to speak: I love it.
- Not just because it is packaged without plastic. (I could say that about my washing soda-borax-shaved soap mix, which never worked as well as I wanted.)
- Not just because it is biodegradable (which is a parallel reduction for a lot of people who want to use less plastic.)
- Not just because it is cheap to use (15 cents per load)
- Not just because it takes little to get the job done (a tablespoon; thus the low per-use cost)
- Not just because it cleans clothes very well
- Not just because it does so without perfume (which I think is a big plus)
Taken together, Charlie’s Soap beats that pants off the plastic-loaded alternative. (This is an independent endorsement without any consideration — or indeed contact — by the manufacturer.) The only downside is that it can be hard to find. See their site for details about the product and a retail locator.