Since 2010, the WordPress blogging and content management platform has released a special, eponymous theme for the year. Why is this important? WordPress is easy to stand up, free for the cost of your hosting and domain registration, easy to add content to and easy to integrate with some other services. I’ve used it for this blog for years; organizations great and small use it for their webpage. Including Unitarian Universalist churches.
These are only the ones who use a featured “annual” default theme. And if you can get a good (or good-enough) website without a lot of fuss, why not?
So what themes do congregations use? What features do they leave untapped? What’s best for mobile devices? All of those questions can wait for later; for now, see the congregational sites that use one of these default themes. (I’ve put the membership count in parentheses; quite a nice range.) See how each makes the theme their own.
Twenty Ten (a sample version of the template)
- Auckland (New Zealand) Unitarian Church (38)
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Paris (66)
- Unitarian Universalists of Petaluma, California (86)
- Pagosa Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, Pagosa Springs, Colorado (36)
- Magic Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, Twin Falls, Idaho (24)
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Madison County, Richmond, Kentucky (36)
- All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church of Shreveport, Louisiana (109)
- Unitarian Universalist Congregational Society of Westborough, Massachusetts (111)
- Red Hill Universalist Church, Clinton, North Carolina (16)
- The Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the Sandhills, Whispering Pines, North Carolina (emerging)
- Durham (New Hampshire) Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (52)
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation, Franklin, New Hampshire (35)
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Otero County, Alamogordo, New Mexico (28)
- Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Klamath Falls, Oregon (33)
- Unitarian Universalist Church of the North Hills, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (210)
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Chattanooga, Tennessee (133)
- First Unitarian Universalist Church of San Antonio, Texas (407)
- Washington, Vermont Universalist (UU) Church (19)
- North Chapel, a Universalist Congregation located in Woodstock, Vermont (162) (Twenty Ten variant)
- Olympia Brown Unitarian Universalist Church, Racine Wisconsin (319)
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Charleston, West Virginia (105)
Twenty Eleven (sample version of the template)
- Marquette (Michigan) Unitarian Universalist Congregation (53)
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Duluth, Minnesota (225)
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the Upper Valley, Norwich, Vermont (79) (Twenty Eleven variant)
Twenty Twelve (sample version of the template)
- Unitarian Universalist Church, West Lafayette, Indiana (176)
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Roanoke, Virginia (195)
The Council of Christian Churches Within the Unitarian Universalist Association site, which I manage, and my universalistchurch.net also uses this theme.
Twenty Fourteen (sample version of the template)
You may ask about thu Twenty Thirteen theme; you’re looking at it. I haven’t found a church that uses it for their main site; and I don’t think it’s best suited for it anyway.